If you or your loved one was involved in a collision with a big rig or tractor-trailer, the legal team at Breit Cantor Grana Buckner can help. Our Richmond truck accident attorneys have been fighting for injured victims and their loved ones for more than 40 years and have recovered hundreds of millions of dollars for our clients. We understand the immense impact that truck accidents have on the lives of victims and their families; our goal is to secure the maximum compensation you are owed for your medical bills, lost income, pain and suffering, emotional distress, and other damages. Our award-winning attorneys are prepared to fight for you throughout the entire legal process.
Let us give voice to your power. Call (888) 635-9500 or contact us online today to request a free, confidential case evaluation.
Determining Liability in Truck Accident Claims
Unlike other types of motor vehicle accident cases, truck accident claims present unique challenges. One of the primary factors that makes these types of injury cases more complex than other auto accident claims is the fact that there may be multiple liable parties. While a truck driver may cause an accident, his or her employer could be liable for the resulting damages. Furthermore, the manufacturer of a defective truck part may be responsible for damages if the defective part is shown to have led to the accident.
In a given truck accident, any of the following parties may be liable:
- The truck driver
- The trucking company that employs the driver
- The person/entity responsible for truck maintenance
- A vehicle or parts manufacturer
- The truck driver’s supervisor
At Breit Cantor, we conduct in-depth, thorough investigations into the cause of the accident. Our legal team often works with a variety of experts, including accident reconstruction specialists, in order to determine exactly how the accident was caused—and who is liable. We also look at the full extent of your damages, including the anticipated lifetime cost of medical care for your injuries, as well as non-economic losses, such as pain and suffering, emotional distress, and reduced quality of life. From there, we are able to build a case aimed at securing the maximum compensation you are owed.
When Are Truck Accidents Caused by Negligence?
In order to successfully pursue a truck accident claim, you must show that another person, company, manufacturer, or entity acted negligently, carelessly, recklessly, or intentionally and that this led to your injuries.
It is important that you work with an experienced Richmond truck accident lawyer who can look at the various factors that may have contributed to the accident, such as:
- Whether or not the truck driver acted negligently, for example, if he/she was texting while driving, operating the vehicle under the influence of drugs/alcohol, or driving while fatigued
- If the trucking company failed to enforce hours of service rules, which dictate how long a truck driver may operate a vehicle without taking mandatory breaks
- Whether or not the trucking company explicitly or implicitly encouraged truck drivers to meet unreasonable quotas or follow unsafe schedules
- If the truck involved in the accident received proper maintenance and safety checks prior to being on the road
- If the truck was overloaded or improperly loaded and whether this contributed directly or indirectly to the accident
- Whether or not a defective vehicle part—such as the truck’s brakes or tires—failed to operate as expected, leading to the accident
Our attorneys have extensive experience handling these types of cases. We know what to look for, and we know how to win. We are here to help you use your power by giving you a voice.
Contact Breit Cantor today for a free consultation. Call (888) 635-9500 or submit an online contact form to get started.