Stephanie E. Grana
Direct Office Line: (804) 343-4372
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more than 26 years, Stephanie Grana has fought for individuals and families in Virginia suffering from catastrophic injury and wrongful death as a top Richmond personal injury lawyer. When clients’ lives are turned upside down due to life-changing injuries or the death of a loved one caused by someone else’s wrongful or negligent actions, they turn to Stephanie because she has a proven track record demonstrating her skill and her passion for securing fair compensation on behalf of the injured. In her years of practice, she has recovered more than 50 verdicts and settlements of over $1 million.
Her professional integrity and ability to secure results for her clients has earned her an AV® Rating from Martindale-Hubbell®, a leading lawyer rating directory. She has personally handled numerous high-profile, high-stakes personal injury cases, and has successfully guided her clients to victory. She has been selected to Best Lawyers in America® specifically for her excellent work in handling medical malpractice (2009-current) and was recognized as Personal Injury Litigation-Plaintiffs’ Lawyer of the Year for 2020.
Stephanie has often been recognized for her incredible track record including being selected by her peers to the Super Lawyers® list every year since 2007. Stephanie has also consistently appeared in its list of the top 100 lawyers in Virginia, top 50 female lawyers in Virginia and top 50 lawyers in Richmond.
She has received numerous awards and accolades from many other organizations and publications, such as the “Top 40 Under 40” award from Style Weekly (2008), the “Influential Women of the Year” award from Virginia Lawyers Weekly (2010), the Woman of Achievement award from the Metropolitan Richmond Women’s Bar Association (2012), “Influential Women of Law” award from Virginia Lawyers Weekly (2019) and she has been inducted as a Virginia Law Foundation fellow.
Stephanie is deeply committed to service to her profession and has been voted by her peers to numerous leadership positions in both local and statewide organizations. She is past President of the Virginia Trial Lawyers Association, leading a 2,000+ member voluntary association of trial lawyers from across Virginia. She is a past president of the Virginia chapter of the American Board of Trial Advocates. She is a past-president of the Lewis F. Powell, Jr. America Inn of Court and the Metro Richmond Women’s Bar Association and is a member of the American Association of Justice. Stephanie was selected by The Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Virginia to serve on the Virginia Model Jury Instruction Committee, which writes and edits jury instructions for all Virginia cases. She is currently an active member of the Boyd-Graves Conference and the Virginia State Bar Future of Law Practice Study Committee. She served for eight years as a member of the Virginia State Bar Disciplinary Committee for the Third District and is an active member of the Virginia State Bar Council for the 14th Circuit.
In addition to her trial work, Stephanie is often selected to teach other lawyers on various topics, including personal injury litigation, brain injury, trial practice, jury selection, and medical malpractice at conferences around Virginia. Her skill and experience are routinely sought by lawyers who want to gain insight into the trial process, as well as how to secure larger verdicts and settlements for their clients. Stephanie often receives referrals from judges, defense lawyers, and insurance adjusters.
Despite her decades of success for her clients and the awards and accolades from her peers, Stephanie is most proud to simply be Mom to her three amazing teenage children: Nicole, Garrett, and Dakota. She is also incredibly appreciative to have a supportive husband, Scott who, as a lawyer, understands the demands on her time and that for Stephanie, being a trial lawyer is more than a job—it’s her calling.
For news about Stephanie Grana, go here.
Richmond Personal Injury Litigation-Plaintiffs’ Lawyer of the Year
Attorney Stephanie Grana was selected as Lawyer of the Year by Best Lawyers in America®
Influential Women of Law
Attorney Stephanie Grana was selected as an “Influential Women of Law” by Virginia Lawyers Weekly in 2010 and 2019
Top 50 Women Virginia Super Lawyers®
Attorney Stephanie Grana was voted Top 50 Women Virginia Super Lawyers® from 2012 to 2020
MRWBA Women of Achievement Award
Attorney Stephanie Grana was awarded the MRWBA Women of Achievement Award in 2012
AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®
Attorney Stephanie Grana received the highest rating for legal ability and ethical standards, Bar Register of Preeminent Woman
Top 25 Women Virginia Super Lawyers®
Attorney Stephanie Grana was voted Top 25 Women Virginia Super Lawyers® from 2010 to 2011
Top Rated Lawyer
Attorney Stephanie Grana was voted a “Top Rated Lawyer” by American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell® in 2012
Top 100 Virginia Super Lawyers®
Attorney Stephanie Grana was voted Top 100 Virginia Super Lawyers® from 2012 to 2019
- J.D., University of Richmond (1993), cum laude, Order of the Barristers, Moot Court Competition Finalist
- B.A., University of Richmond (1990), magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa (graduated in three years)
- Virginia, 1993
- Virginia Supreme Court
- 4th Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Courts for the Eastern District of Virginia
- CantorArkema, P.C., Partner (2001-2009)
- Shuford, Rubin & Gibney, P.C., Partner (1999-2001)
- Bemberis & Grana, Partner (1998-1999)
- Taylor & Schockmoehl, P.C., Associate (1994-1997)
- Court of Appeals of Virginia, Judicial Clerk for Hon. Joseph E. Baker, Norfolk (1993-1994)
Honors & Awards
- “Influential Women of Law,” selected by Virginia Lawyers Weekly (2019)
- Virginia Law Foundation Fellow (2014)
- MRWBA Women of Achievement Award (December 2012)
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®, the highest rating for legal ability and ethical standards, Bar Register of Preeminent Woman
- Lawyers™ (2011)
- American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell® “Top Rated Lawyer” (2012)
- Best Lawyers in America® “Richmond Personal Injury Litigation-Plaintiffs’ Lawyer of the Year” (2020)
- Best Lawyers in America®, in the category of Medical Malpractice (2009-present)
- Virginia Super Lawyers® Rising Stars list (2007-2009), selected by Law & Politics
- Top 50 Women Virginia Super Lawyers® (2012-2019)
- Top 25 Women Virginia Super Lawyers® (2010,2011)
- Top 25 Richmond Area Super Lawyers® (2012)
- Top 100 Virginia Super Lawyers® (2012-2019)
- Top 25 Women Virginia Super Lawyers® (2011, 2010)
- Top 50 Richmond Area Super Lawyers® (2012, 2014-2019)
- “Influential Women of the Year,” selected by Virginia Lawyers Weekly (2010)
- “Top 40 Under 40,” named by Style Weekly (2008)
- ATLA’s National College of Advocacy, Advocate Status
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
- President (2016-2017)
- President-Elect (2015)
- Executive Council Vice President (2012-present)
- Executive Council (2010-present)
- Board of Governors (1998-present)
- Young Trial Lawyers Chair (1999-2000)
- American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA)
- President-Elect (2016-2017)
- Virginia State Bar Council for the 14th Circuit (Henrico County)
- Virginia Model Jury Instruction Committee (2015-present)
- Lewis F. Powell, Jr. American Inn of Court, President (2007-2009)
- Metro Richmond Women’s Bar Association, President (2003-2004)
- Boyd-Graves Conference Committee (2009-present)
- Greater Richmond Bar Foundation, Board of Directors (2005-2007)
- Etheridge Society
- American Association of Justice (formerly Association of Trial Lawyers of America)
- Litigation Counsel of America, Fellow
- Virginia State Bar: Future of Law Practice Study Committee (2015-present), Third District Disciplinary Committee, (2005-July 2013, Chair 2012-13); Health Law Section; Committee on Women and Minorities in the Profession.
- Richmond Bar Association
- Chesterfield-Colonial Heights Bar Association
- John Marshall American Inn of Court, Executive Committee (1999-2003)
- National Association of Women Business Owners
- VTLA 2019 Annual Convention, Lessons Learned from the Trenches – Valuable Tips for Every Trial Lawyer, March 28, 2019.
- Etheridge Society, Voir Dire and Focus Groups in Virginia, November 9, 2018.
- VTLA 2018 Wrongful Death Retreat, Are You Underestimating the Value of your Wrongful Death Case? November 2-3, 2018.
- T.C. Williams School of Law – Trial Practice Class, Invited Lecturer (2017, 2018)
- VTLA 2018 Annual Convention, Case Law Update, March 22-25, 2018.
- VTLA 2017 Annual Convention, Case Law Update, March 30-April 2, 2017.
- Richmond Bar Association CLE, Picking the Right Jury and Avoiding the Wrong One, October 18, 2016.
- VTLA/VADA Civil Conversations, How to be Strong, Respectful and Professional even in an Adversarial Process, September 16, 2016.
- VSB CLE, Difficult Depositions, May 24, 2016 (Charlottesville).
- VSB Litigation Section Spring CLE, The Art and Science of Mastering the Jury Trial, May 11, 2016 (Richmond).
- VTLA 2016 Annual Convention, Case Law Update, March 31-April 3, 2016.
- Virginia CLE, Best Trial Practices in Circuit Court: An Interactive Judges’ Forum for Richmond-Area Litigators, Pretrial and Trial Practices, September 29, 2015 (Richmond).
- VTLA 2015 Annual Convention, Case Law Update, March 26-29, 2015.
- NBI Seminar Moderator, As Judges See It: Top Mistakes Attorneys Make in Civil Litigation, December 2014 (Richmond).
- VTLA Sources of Coverage, October 2014 (Fairfax).
- VTLA 2014 Annual Convention, Tort Law Update, March 27-30, 2014.
- VTLA Masters of Advocacy, Advocacy Seminar – “Zealous Advocacy v. Professionalism – Sanctions”, October 3, 2013 (Richmond).
- VTLA 2013 Annual Convention, Tort Law Update, March 21-24, 2013.
- VTLA Wrongful Death Retreat, February 22-23, 2013.
- NBI Personal Injury Seminar: Standing on Ethical Ground, June 21, 2012 (Richmond).
- NBI Judicial Forum: What Civil Court Judges Want You to Know, October 22, 2010.
- VTLA Evidence Seminar, October 26, 2010 (Norfolk).
- VTLA Advanced Auto Retreat Seminar, July 23, 2010.
- The Use of Medical Literature in Trial, VTLA Journal, 2010.
- VTLA Advanced Retreat on Pain: Understanding Pain, Proving Pain, November 2009.
- LORMAN Seminar: HIPAA in Virginia for the Litigation Attorney & for the Health Care Provider, July 2009.
- NBI Seminar: A Litigation Paralegal’s Guide to Case Management, January 2009.
- VTLA Advanced Auto Retreat Seminar: The Medical Literature You Need to Win and How to Get It In, July 2008.
- VTLA Annual Convention: Use of 8.01-401.1 as a Sword and/or a Shield in Your PI Case, March 2008.
- NBI Seminar: Obtaining the Best Settlement for Personal Injury Clients, February 2008.
- VTLA Annual Paralegal Seminar: Personal Injury – Screening Intake and First Meeting, November 14, 2007.
- Taking Control of Your Medical Care, V Magazine, November 2006.
- Institute for Paralegal Education (IPE) Seminar: Countdown to Trial: A Crash Course in Trial Preparation for Paralegals, July 2007.
- Interviewing your Potential Client – Hire or Not? VTLA Journal, Winter 2005.
- Ensuring the Best Medical Treatment for Women and Their Children – Women’s Injury Law Center Worldly Women Workshop, Spring 2005. (Presented on 4 occasions)
- IPE Seminar: Mastering the Trial Notebook in Virginia, December 2003.
- “Hopping Through HIPAA’s Hoops without Falling on Your Face… Sort Of,” VTLA Journal Practice Pointer, Fall 2003.
- IPE Seminar: Trial Preparation from Start to Finish For Virginia Paralegals, June 2003.
- Editor, Collateral Source, Medicaid/Medicare Liens & Amounts ‘Written Off, October 1997 for the Etheridge Society.
- Medical Malpractice in Virginia – Overview published in VTLA seminar materials: Welcome to the Real World – A New Lawyer’s Guide to Litigation, March 1996.
- Boys in Blue Program – J.L. Francis Elementary School, Richmond
- Commonwealth Community Trust – President-Elect (2019 – current)
- Commonwealth Community Trust – Board Member (2017- 2019)
- Community Brain Injury Services – Board Member (2013 – present)
- Legacy Competition Dance Team – Parent Committee (2013 – present)
- Virginia Synchronized Swimming Association, Level IV Judge, Richmond Masters Synchronized Swimming Team (1995-2003)
- Phi Beta Kappa Alumni Association, President (2000-2001)
- University of Richmond Spider Club Athletic Association, Board Member (1998-2001)
- Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk – Firm’s Team Captain (2003-present)
Motor Vehicle Accident
Motor Vehicle Accident
Motor Vehicle Accident
Motor Vehicle Accident